Iran issues tourist visa for anybody with the aim of visiting Iran. According to the authorities, tourist visa is needed for almost all nationalities, except eleven countries (passport holders), need tourist visa in order to visit Iran.
We will explain the process of applying for a tourist visa, rules, and every crucial note about tourist visa in the following.
Tourists have two different ways to apply for Iran tourist visa:
- Getting Iran Visa on Arrival (VOA): almost all nationalities (except the people from twelve countries or passport holders) can apply for VOA. If the required documents are given correctly, VOA will be issued very soon.
VOA is issued only at the following international airports:
Tehran (Imam Khomeini International Airport), Shiraz (Shahid Dastgheib International Airport), Isfahan (Shahid Beheshti International Airport), Mashhad (Shahid Hashemi Nejad International Airport), Tabriz (Shahdi Madani International Airport), Kish International airport, Bandar-Abas international airport, Kerman international airport, Qeshm international airport, Urmia international airport.
Getting Iran Visa Before Departure (VBD):
In this way, tourists get their visa before they travel to Iran, the process of getting visa this way have several compulsory steps:
- Applying for tourist visa online (through the official website of the ministry of foreign affairs) or by Iran travel agencies.
- Filling out the forms
- receiving the authorization code or grant number
- stamping the visa in the Iranian Embassy
Expiration date of Iran tourist visa:
Iran tourist visa will be valid for 90 days; on request, however, it can be extended according to the rules.
Note: citizens (passport holders) from the following eleven countries do not need to apply for Iran tourist visa in order to enter Iran.
The citizens (Passport holders) from the following twelve countries need an authorization code for getting Iran tourist visa, so they cannot apply for Iran visa on arrival (VOA).
- the United states
- the United kingdom
- Sri Lanka
Note: Israeli citizens (passport holders) cannot apply for Iran visa under any condition.
Note: Iranian tourist visa is issued for Canadian, British, and American passport holders, but the process of applying for Iran tourist visa for these citizens have a little different regulations:
- They cannot apply for VOA.
- Their residence (hotel, boutique house, boutique hotel, inn, etc.) must be booked in advance.
- Their travel plan must be specified.
- They must be accompanied by an authorized tour guide during their travel period (both for group tours and individuals).
- They must apply for Iran visa via Iranian travel agencies.
Applying for Iran tourist visa need several documents (both for VOA and [VBD]):
- Visa from (filled out)
- Personal photo; it must be passport size (usually 4x6).
- A photocopy of the passport
Note: monochrome photocopies are not acceptable; only colored photocopies are accepted to apply for Iran tourist visa.
Note: the passport must have at least 6 months validity from date of entry.
- Travel insurance
Note: Check the travel insurance article for more information.